Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Technology Tuesday (1st edition)


 Thanks for stopping by for my first edition of Technology Tuesday!  I love technology and decided to make including more of it in my classroom a priority this year.

 I really wanted to use an iPad with my students, but really didn't want to take my personal iPad into the classroom. So, I wrote a proposal through Donors Choose to try to get a mini iPad with a protective case for my classroom. My project was fully funded in less than a week (thanks to a few anonymous donors and the fabulous parents in my classroom). In fact, the parents in my classroom were so excited about their children being able to use the mini iPad in the classroom, that they asked me to write a grant for a 2nd mini iPad. The 2nd grant was fully funded in 2 days.

Would I recommend Donors Choose to another teacher...absolutely! Before writing a proposal, I think it is important to be sure that you are willing to "kick in" any portion of the total that does not get funded (especially if classroom parents will be contributing). Proposals stay on the site for 4 months. Donors who make donations to a project that is not fully funded by the project expiration date do not get refunded. They have some options to give their donation to another project or work with gift cards to give to a teacher/project. I personally would not feel comfortable asking parents to donate for an item that we didn't end up getting if the project wasn't fully funded.

My students were so excited when our 1st mini iPad arrived in the mail.  I asked their parents to keep it a secret, so I could surprise them.  I put a bow on the box and told them that there was something that was going to help us learn in the box.  A few of the guesses included:  a gerbil, a number line, a calculator and a giant pencil.  The big reveal proved to be a big surprise after those guesses.  My little dumplings jumped up and down when they discovered it was a real mini iPad!

On the first day,  I reviewed the rules for using the iPad and we practiced carrying it.  Yep, we practiced carrying it.  I figured it was worth the time.  You can download my Rules for Using the iPad freebie by clicking on the link below.  If you like this freebie, please follow my store and my blog.  I'll be posting more freebies related to using iPads in the classroom over the next several weeks.


We just started using the iPad in my room in October.  So far,  we're using the iPad for individualized word work,  daily journaling, writer's workshop and reader's workshop.  I'll be sharing more about the specifics in my next few Technology Tuesday posts.  Thanks for visiting!

3 comments:

  1. I have been wanting to ask for ipad's on donor choose! What a fantastic article! Can you guide me/share in how you presented your request on donor's choose? I would appreciate your help! Thanks so much for your blog!
    Megan
    pink08@me.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on having your grants funded!! I have an iPad on loan from my principal, but I am not very good at integrating it. Can't wait to read more of your techy posts!

    ReplyDelete