Thursday, August 22, 2013

Time to Stock up on the Lice Spray

Yep. I'm freaky like that. If you've been following my blog for a while, you'll know that I love Windex. Unfortunately, Windex does not repel lice (well not that I know of).   Hmmm...maybe I should try that the next time one of my students comes to school with lice.  I suppose that might get me in trouble.

In our district (and county), they no longer send kids home with live bugs!  Something about discrimination for a common illness...blah, blah, blah.  Ummm... it's contagious.

I do use a magic lice repellent spray to help keep those nasty pests far away from me (and my own kids). It's called Fairy Tales Rosemary Repel Leave-In Conditioning Spray. We've been using it at my house for 4 years. I give my kids one squirt on their hair (and one on mine) before we leave the house in the morning. If they are going to a friend's house to spend the night, I spray it on their sleeping bag and pillow (call me whatever you want).
So far, bug free (and happy as can be).

7 comments:

  1. Ooh, I didn't know about this stuff!!! I MUST HAVE IT. :)

    In my school, we have a lot of kids arriving or returning from other countries throughout the year and lice can be common upon return. We are not allowed to send the kiddies to the nurse at that time, either, because it is considered discriminatory. We are allowed to request that the whole class be checked, though.

    Again. I must have this stuff, like, yesterday.

    Lindsey :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! I've already been warned about one of my students and their "frequent" bug problem. Is your product hard to find?

    Karen

    An Apple a Day in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have also heard that tea tree oil works as a repellant too. Our students aren't sent home either. A few (20 or so) years ago I got lice from a student in my class and I got sent home. I was soooo mortified and no matter how many people told me, "Oh the lice prefer shiny clean hair" I did not feel better. Sure wish I had known about preventative sprays then!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot imagine not being able to send the kids to the nurse! While I understand the discrimination aspect, I still think there is a responsibility to the other children in the class to avoid knowingly exposing them to the possibility of infection. I started using this spray last year when there was an outbreak at our school. Since my youngest attends the school I teach at, we were spraying our hair everyday before leaving in the morning. Don't worry, my oldest got sprayed too even though she is at a different school. There were also many ponytail days. One can never be too careful! I sprayed it along their hairline and behind their ears. It kept us lice free! I love the idea of spraying their sleeping bags and pillows before a sleepover. I call you a good mom!!

    ReplyDelete