Thursday, May 30, 2013

Could it be?

I've been feeling a little overwhelmed by the end of the year craziness. My last day of school is next Friday. The last day for my own kids/husband is June 13. Between all the end of the year stuff at all 4 schools and our soccer/baseball/dance schedules...let's just say I'm expecting that my Google calendar will crash soon. 

 And then... 
like a message from above 
to remind me that being a teacher really is one of the luckiest jobs in the world... 
a visitor came to my classroom. 

This is Brian (a student from my first Kindergarten class).
All grown up.
Graduating from high school this week.
Heading off to the University of Michigan.
And he took the time to visit me...his first teacher.


and even better than his special visit...
he asked me if he could stay a while to HELP!
Folks - there is hope for the world!
The smile he is wearing in the picture is the exact same smile 
that was painted on his face the entire year in Kindergarten. 
Brian is a hard working, smart, polite and always happy kid...
just a whole lot taller than the last time he spent time in my room.
I'm so grateful that Brian took the time to come back to say thank you to his first teacher.

It's important to stop to notice the reminders of how lucky we truly are to be teachers...

 

12 comments:

  1. I have been teaching for 9 years and it is so great to see how my former students have grown and developed over the years! My student teaching class is now in college which is crazy! Have a great summer:)

    Primary Classrooms are Oceans of Fun

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, that is too sweet!! Thanks for sharing this story :)
    ❤Teri
    A Cupcake for the Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love stories like this!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great story! And, a very special young man! Thanks for sharing!

    Karen
    anappleadayinfirstgrade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is wonderful! I hope one day my first graders come back to see me! My first class is graduating fifth grade next week, but at my old school so I can't see that big moment! I still love running into them in the community though :) I still keep in touch with my first grade teacher!

    Enjoy your LAST week! Summer is almost here :)
    Annie
    Three Cheers for First Grade!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kimberly,
    I popped over after reading the kind message you left on my graphics page. I have to say that seeing you with your "old" student just gave me goosebumps (the good kind!) because it's such a special thing to experience, and it's something that only teachers of little ones can truly understand and relate to. Thank you so much for this and for that important reminder!
    Hope you have a fun and relaxing summer break!

    Susanna
    Whimsy Workshop 

    ReplyDelete
  7. How sweet for you! I love that he thought to come back and to help! What a great kid.

    Jenny
    Luckeyfrog's Lilypad

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this post! How awesome!!:)
    Love your blog, I am your newest follower and a newbie to blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  9. {Download} $12,234 in 2 months BETTING Software?

    Let me get it straight.

    I dont care about sports. Never cared less.

    I tried every thing from FOREX & stocks to internet marketing and affiliate networks.. I even made some money but then lost it all away when the stock market went south.

    I think I finally found it. Check It Out TODAY!

    ReplyDelete