Monday, January 21, 2013

We Have Dreams (MLK activities)

I had big plans to watch all the inauguration festivities with my own kids today, right after a quick trip to the grocery store. My plans changed when an old lady smashed into the back of my Jeep on the way home from the store. I'm hoping someday that I'll find some of the very strange things she said amusing. Today...not so much. The good news - I'm ok and my kids were not with me.

 In the middle of a snowy 4 lane road with parts of my vehicle spread all over 2 lanes, here are a few of the strange things she said to me after doing over $10,000 worth of damage to my Jeep.
 1. Can I just tell you all the reasons that I am so sorry? (my response = no)
2. I prefer the S... police department. (My response = Well then smash into someone in that city. This is P...... township.)
 3. What were you planning to do today? (my response = not this!)
4. What are you doing? (my response = wiping snow off your license plate so I can take a picture of it)

So...I will watch the inauguration stuff that I missed online and I will be glad to get back to school tomorrow.

 We will be having a special assembly at my school tomorrow to celebrate the work of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. My class started our study of MLK last week, to prepare for our special writing/speaking project later this week. By the end of the week, my students will be giving their own "I have a dream..." speeches about making the world a better place. I posted about the activities that we do in a post last year. You can read that post complete with pictures here. My students are very excited to give their speeches!

 

4 comments:

  1. Oh no...NO FUN! Glad you're okay and that the kidlets weren't with you. Think we'll have school with these cold temps? I'm gonna guess yes!

    Stay warm...drive safe!

    Holly
    Crisscross Applesauce in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kimberly,

    I'm so sorry to hear about your accident. And so glad you are okay. I hope tomorrow is a better day for you. Looking forward to hearing about your kids' speeches.

    Take care,
    Mona
    First Grade Schoolhouse

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear about your accident. Here's hoping the rest of the week is way better.

    Learning With Susie Q

    susieqsclass@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopefully you're ok! That is the most important thing!

    Thanks for sharing this.

    Best,
    Ramon
    Fonts 4 Teachers
    Fonts 4 Teachers in TPT


    ReplyDelete