Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Writer's Workshop Books

During writer's workshop time, we have been focusing on using spaces between words and revising. Here are two of my favorite books to use with these lessons.


spaces between words


revising

You can see a list of additional books that I've recently used during writer's workshop lessons by visiting this post.

I'm going to be hosting a linky party soon about mentor texts to use with writer's workshop lessons. I'd love to hear about the books other teachers are using as mentor texts. I hope you'll link up! Stay tuned for details...

5 comments:

  1. my favorite lesson i've done this year is using a clip from ratatouille and comparing writers to cooks... we say writers revise just like cooks, writers add on and take things away just like cooks, writers use tools to revise like colored pens, revision strips, and cooks use tools like pots and pans! the kids loved it and it really stuck... and got them excited about revising!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks I have that book Fix-It and this would be great way to use it!
    Rambling About Reading

    ReplyDelete
  3. So excited for your linky party! I'm still stuck on some of my fourth grade writing lessons so new ideas would be fabulous!

    Rowdy in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will have to check out those two books - always looking for new ones to use in workshop. I always kick off writer's workshop with "Arthur Writes a Story"...where he's trying so hard to think of a topic. I love the idea of showing the ratatouille clip!

    I used "The Writer's Eye" with my students, had them make writer's eyeglasses, wore my own writer's eyeglasses (clown glasses) to model the things writer's look for when they edit. (Or whenever they write). I wrote about it here on my blog:

    http://crisscrossapplesauceinfirstgrade.blogspot.com/2011/10/writing-in-room-8.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. also, "the best story" is awesome for launching small moments/narratives :)

    ReplyDelete