Sunday, March 27, 2011

NonFiction Text Features

In preparation for an animal research project that my kids need to do in the next month, we worked on nonfiction text features last week.  We started by doing a fiction/nonfiction book sort with weather related books, since we are currently studying weather.  That helped me get an idea of how much my students already knew about the differences between fiction and nonfiction books.  The students worked in cooperative groups to sort of stack of books while I walked around to listen to their discussions.

I introduced specific nonfiction text features throughout the week and made an anchor chart with our class.  I forgot to take a picture of the anchor chart.  This week, my students will be using the form below to find specific nonfiction features in a book at their "just right" level during literacy center time.

Nonfiction Text Feature Center Form

5 more days till spring break!!!!  I think I can...  I think I can...

1 comment: